Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Mango Coconut Lime Cake!

Sounds crazy, doesn't it? I literally made up with recipe, along with the help of some awesome ladies who are my dorm mates. You should see the dishes they come up with. So fancy! Someday soon I'll share some of their recipes too. =)

Today, I present to you this delicious Mango Coconut Lime Cake!



Anyway, I happen to be very competitive. I was never tempted to make a mango cake - never even thought of one - until I heard about this amazing mango cake that this aunty makes, and I realized I had never tried Mango cake. Luckily enough, I had a bag of dried mangoes lying around. This cake did destroy my weight-loss diet plan, but it was worth it!

Here's what you need:

  • 2 cups all-purpose flour 
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda 
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder 
  • 1 cup sugar 
  • 2/3 cup oil  
  • 2/3 cup buttermilk 
  • 2 eggs 
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla essence 
  • 1 cup mango puree 
  • 1/2 cup chopped walnuts 
  • 1 lime (or 1 large lemon OR about 3 small ones) 
  • Mango essence - optional 
 Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Prepare a spring form cake tin by oiling the sides and base, and sprinkling well with flour.

Whisk together the flour, baking soda and baking powder (or sieve all these together)

In a large bowl, using a hand mixer, beat together the oil, sugar,  eggs, vanilla essence, buttermilk, and lime zest! Doesn't this step sound like fun? I always enjoy recipes where I can just throw things in and mix. For some reason, I find the whirr of electric beaters almost therapeutic =p

Anyhow, once you've done the mixing, the next step is to fold in the dry ingredients, mixing well. 

Now for the mango. I had dried mango, so I just cooked it in a little water until it was completely soft and rehydrated, and then pureed it. If you have fresh mango, I'm guessing you can just puree that. 

Mix the mango puree into the cake batter, mixing well. I didn't have essence, but if you have it, a couple of drops of that should add to the scent and flavour. Then mix in the walnuts. 

Pour the mixture into the prepared tin, and bake until skewer inserted into the center comes out dry.




The BEST things about this cake, however, was the frosting. The sad but fun thing is that since I made up the frosting recipe too, I don't have exact measurements. But these are the general ingredients:


  • Unsalted butter
  • Icing Sugar
  • Coconut flakes
  • Mango puree
  • Lime 
  • Cream cheese

I started off by beating softened butter with icing sugar to make a nice butter cream frosting. But I didn't have enough butter to be able to fill and frost the cake, so in order to increase the amount of frosting, I threw in all the cream cheese I had ( about three tablespoons). Mix in the coconut flakes, and then add lime zest. I also beat in a few tablespoons of puree, just to give color and some flavor. If you have it, you can replace the puree with a few drops of essence and some yellow food color.
  
Assembling:

Since I didn't have enough frosting, once the cake was cool enough I sliced it in half and used mango puree to sandwich it together.  If you do have enough frosting, put some in the middle too. Then just use the rest of the icing to decorate the top and sides.





1

No comments:

Post a Comment